Homemade plantain chips may seem unneccessary, when most whole food stores have a version or 10. BUT, should you not have great access to them OR are on a Whole30, you might consider making them yourself. They are so easy and I love being able to make them my way (i.e. not deep fried in oils I don’t love).
Plus, on Whole30 you are not allowed to have any store-bought commercially-made chips, including plantain chips or others that the ingredients are compliant. Read this link to find out more on that. And please note, if you find yourself unable to resist making and eating these excessively on a Whole30, they are SWYPO for you and best left out.
These came to be during COVID-19, when I couldn’t find plantain chips locally but missed eating cauliflower hummus with them or crumbling them on top of my chili. But, now I don’t know if I will go back to store bought, as these are equally delicious and I am in control of the ingredients and cooking process. We love them paired with most any Mexican dish or for scooping up cauliflower hummus. Just make them – it’s so easy!
I use a mandoline slicer to cut these easily, my favorite slicer I’ve had (I’ve broke several – ooops!) is this one here. Just watch your fingers and use the safety glove, and mandoline slicers can make cutting thin slices a breeze!
Homemade Airfryer or Oven Plantain Chips
- 2 large green plantains
- 2 tablespoons oil to coat avocado or olive
- If using oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- Using a knife or mandoline slicer, thinly slice plantains into even slices (the mandoline* slicer is king for this!).
- In a bowl, toss plantain slices with oil until all are coated.
- Lay coated plantains in a single layer on either airfryer tray or a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt.
- OVEN: Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until crispy through. AIRFRYER: Airfry at 350 for 10-12 minutes until crispy through. Keep in mind you have to do these in a single layer. That works great with a wide airfryer, but not so much with a deep one. Do it in batches or use the oven method.No need to flip halfway through!