Ok, I know what you are thinking. Trust me, I used to HATE cauliflower. But riced cauliflower converted me and now I LOVE it. This is an AWESOME way to get your morning veggies in, and it’s so warm and comforting. A very flexible recipe for whatever toppings or seasonings of your choice. This one is a game changer!
*Note: In this recipe, I use date paste to soften the bitter flavor of cauliflower and make this food palatable. Though date paste is technically Whole30 compliant, IF you are using it to feed your sugar dragon, that turns it into a sweetener and is a NO-GO for you on Whole30. Be honest with yourself. Not on Whole30? I still prefer the taste of date paste, but you can use a little honey or maple syrup as well.
- 16 oz riced cauliflower I used Trader Joes, but Winco and Walmart have started selling the pre-riced cauliflower as well
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk or 16oz. almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon can also use pumpkin spice or apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder* *Optional – can leave out if you don’t have or is hard to get. Just enhances the flavor. If on a Whole30, no regular vanilla is compliant due to alcohol in the ingredients. I usually get my vanilla powder from Amazon. Just make sure you get one with no added sugar like this one: vanilla powder on Amazon
- 2-4 tablespoons date paste see note above and recipe below
- Toppings of choice: sliced banana great for a little sweetness, berries, nuts, coconut flakes, raisins (make sure they have no added sugar!), go crazy!
Put a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut oil and stir until melted. Add cauliflower rice and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add milk of choice, cinnamon, and vanilla powder. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and cauliflower is tender.
IF your cauliflower oatmeal is not thick like oatmeal, but more soupy, then I use 1-2 spoonfuls of tapioca or arrowroot starch, mixed with a little of cold water THEN added in to the cauliflower oatmeal. This will act like a thickener similar to cornstarch and should thicken it up within a minute or so of adding.
Remove from heat, add date paste and add toppings of choice. Pair with a protein to balance it out and enjoy!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup hot water
Mix 1 cup pitted dates with 1/2 cup hot water, pushing the dates down into the water to moisten all. Puree in a blender or mixer until it makes a smooth paste.