Ok, I know what you are thinking. Trust me, I used to HATE cauliflower. But riced cauliflower converted me and now I LOVE it. This is an AWESOME way to get your morning veggies in, and it’s so warm and comforting. A very flexible recipe for whatever toppings or seasonings of your choice. This one is a game changer!
*Note: In this recipe, I use date paste to soften the bitter flavor of cauliflower and make this food palatable. Date paste is not Whole30 compliant, as it’s basically a sweetener and is a NO-GO for you on Whole30. That makes this recipe not Whole30. If you can rock this bowl without it or any other sweetener, then power to you and this would be a compliant Whole30 Creamy Cauliflower Mash. But, watch that you aren’t turning it into SWYPO with crazy amounts of nuts and fruit! Not on Whole30? I still prefer the taste of date paste, but you can use a little honey or maple syrup instead if preferred.
- 16 oz riced cauliflower I prefer the even consistency of Trader Joes, but Winco and Walmart have started selling the pre-riced cauliflower as well
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk or 16oz. almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon can also use pumpkin spice or apple pie spice or leave out
- 1 teaspoon vanilla *Optional – can leave out if you are on a Whole30 or use a no sugar added vanilla powder
- 2-4 tablespoons date paste see note above and recipe below
- Toppings of choice: sliced banana great for a little sweetness, berries, nuts, coconut flakes, raisins (make sure they have no added sugar!), go crazy!
Put a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut oil and stir until melted. Add cauliflower rice and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add milk of choice, cinnamon, and vanilla powder. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and cauliflower is tender.
IF your cauliflower oatmeal is not thick like oatmeal, but more soupy, then I use 1-2 spoonfuls of tapioca or arrowroot starch, mixed with a little of cold water THEN added in to the cauliflower oatmeal. This will act like a thickener similar to cornstarch and should thicken it up within a minute or so of adding.
Remove from heat, add date paste and add toppings of choice. Pair with a protein to balance it out and enjoy!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup hot water
Mix 1 cup pitted dates with 1/2 cup hot water, pushing the dates down into the water to moisten all. Puree in a blender or mixer until it makes a smooth paste.