This kid-friendly handheld protein-veggie combo is a protein source that kids of all ages can enjoy! We love dipping it in my date mustard sauce. The ingredients are simple and inexpensive and this can be cooked in a pan on the stove or your airfryer. These freeze fantastically, so double batch and freeze the extras. Bonus: it’s Whole30, Paleo, and Keto compliant. Wahoo!
Chicken Zucchini Nuggets
- 2 cups grated zucchini I use my food processor grating blade to do so quickly!
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus extra to salt zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Coconut or avocado oil if pan frying
- Spread shredded zucchini in the middle of a clean towel and salt. Let sit for 5 minutes, then fold up towel from edges and wring out extra moisture out of the zucchini. I usually do this over the sink and be aggressive in your wringing - the more moisture you get out the crispier these nuggets will be!
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, except for cooking oil, stirring until combined (I use my hands here to mix).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I use about a 1/4" deep of oil.
- Once heated, flatten a spoonful of the meat mixture in between your hands, then place into the hot oil. You choose how big these nuggets are - my kids like the smaller nugget size, but you will have to do less batches if you make them more of a patty. Up to you!
- Cook until brown on both sides and cooked through (length of cooking time will depend on the size of your nuggets - usually about 5 minutes per side, but keep an eye on them!).
- AIRFRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Form your nuggets or patties the same as above and spray your air fryer basket with oil, as these are goopy and will stick if you don't. Place in a single layer in your airfryer basket. Cook at 350 for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. As you shape the nuggets, place about an inch apart on the parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and then bake another 10 minutes.