My kids make smoothies a few times a week. They are a great fast breakfast they can make themselves, that gives me a break from cooking. However, I wasn’t ok with them just being full of fruit/juice/added sugar, as that just spikes their blood sugar – leaving them hungry and a little cranky a few hours later when the blood sugar spike drops. This is one we can both agree on, as it has healthy fats, protein, and no added sweetener. Woot! See my mom hack at the bottom of the recipe for how you can also sneak veggies into this!
Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- 1.5 bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nut butter most of my kids prefer peanut butter, but almond butter works too
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon cocoa depends on how chocolately you like it
- 1 scoop vital protein collagen or egg white powder optional, but adds protein and satiety
Combine all ingredients in a blender.
Blend on high until smooth.
Pour and enjoy!
NUT FREE: Use coconut milk, oat milk or some other milk that works for your family instead of the almond milk. Use sun butter instead of nut butter.
MOM HACK: Add 1/2 cup frozen riced cauliflower. Adds thickness and veggies and you can't taste it at all!
PROTEIN: Vital proteins can get pricey, and we can't always swing it in our budget. So, a less expensive option is 100% egg white powder like this one from Amazon.