This Chunky Monkey Smoothie is made on most days of the week by someone in our home. It is so loved and used regularly! It’s full of healthy fats, hidden veggies, and protein to actually keep you full and satiated.
Why we love our Chunky Monkey Smoothie
My kids make smoothies a few times a week. They are a great fast breakfast they can make themselves, which gives me a break from cooking. However, I wasn’t ok with them just being full of fruit/juice/added sugar, as that just spikes their blood sugar – leaving them hungry and a little cranky a few hours later when the blood sugar spike drops. This is one we can both agree on, as it has healthy fats, hidden veggies, protein, and no added sweetener. Woot!
It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, Whole30*, Plant-based Whole30*, vegan, egg-free, with nut-free options. Perfect for so many dietary needs! It only takes 5 minutes to make with basic ingredients you might already have on hand.
- Frozen bananas – We love overripe bananas in our house because we can throw them in the freezer for this recipe! A great way to use up bananas and add natural sweetness without any added sugar or sweeteners.
- Dairy-free milk – I love using canned coconut milk, as it’s rich and thick. But you can use whatever dairy-free milk works best for you and your dietary needs.
- Nut butter or sun butter – We are big chocolate + peanut butter fans in this house, so peanut butter is usually what we use with this smoothie. But you can use almond butter, cashew butter, sun butter…again, whatever your dietary needs are!
- Cocoa powder – Let’s be real, Hershey’s cocoa powder or whatever you can find in the baking aisle works just fine here.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla is ideal, vanilla extract works just as well if that’s what is accessible to you.
- Frozen riced cauliflower – OPTIONAL, but seriously y’all: if eating cauliflower tastes like THIS…why the heck not? My kids know that it’s in there and don’t care. Even my son who has moved out of the house has continued to put frozen cauliflower in his smoothies for easy veggies.
Frequently Asked Questions: Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- *How is this smoothie Whole30? Yes, the ingredients are Whole30 compatible. Are smoothies allowed on Whole30? Yes (if all ingredients are compatible). More from the Whole30 website: “We’ll always encourage you to prioritize eating whole foods during meals, but smoothies (especially if they contain protein and fat) are a helpful way to get additional nutrition when solid meals aren’t possible or convenient.” You can read more about this on their “Can I Have” article on Whole30.com (scroll down to S for “Smoothie”) or HERE for the Plant-based version.
- Can I make this ahead of time? Sure you can in the sense of you can make a smoothie “pack”. In a reusable or zip top bag, add the banana, nut butter, cocoa, vanilla, and protein powder. Freeze until ready to use. When ready, dump the ingredients into the blender and add the dairy-free milk, blending until smooth. Voila! Look how easy you just made breakfast!
- Are you sure you can’t taste the cauliflower? TRUST – none of my boys like cauliflower. At all. But, they all agree they don’t taste it at all in this smoothie. The frozen cauliflower makes it thicker and is undetectable. I dare you to try it!
Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- 1.5 bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk or any dairy-free milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons nut butter my kids prefer peanut butter, but almond butter or sun butter works too
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon cocoa depends on how chocolately you like it
- 1 scoop or tablespoon vital protein collagen or egg white powder optional, but adds protein and satiety
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower optional, but you WON'T TASTE IT!
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour and enjoy!