These bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free with a vegan option! All the flavor of apple pie without the lengthy prep? Sign me up! The crust comes together quickly by using a gluten-free cake mix to make a simple but crumbly and delicious crust. The filling is an easy apple pie filling and all of it is made and in the oven with under 25 minutes of hands-on prep. Take it up a notch by topping with my Paleo Vanilla Ice Cream!
Easy Apple Pie Bars
- 1 gluten-free vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 2 cups gluten-free quick oats
- 1 cup melted ghee or vegan butter
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped into small 1/2" pieces use a firm, tart apple like granny smith
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar or other granulated sugar like monk fruit or maple sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot flour or potato starch
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, oats, and melted ghee. Stir until just combined. Mixture should be crumbly.
- In a medium pot, combine chopped apples, sugar, water, spices, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Apples should be starting to get tender.
- Combine the arrowroot flour or potato startch with 1 1/2 tablespoons water in a small bowl.This is called a "slurry." Add the slurry to the apple mixture, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring regularly until mixture thickens. This will only take around 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Add half of the cake mix mixture to the bottom of the pan, pressing it around until the bottom of the pan is covered, adding a little more mixture if needed.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly over the bottom crust. Crumble remaining cake mix mixture on top of the apples. Press the crust crumbles gently down into the apples.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. Bars will hold their shape best when cooled completely. Stor in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 mnoths.