I don’t really like canned tuna, EXCEPT in this Sweet Everything Bagel Whole30 Tuna Salad. Canned tuna was hard for me to enjoy. I don’t love seafood to begin with, and tuna in a can just seemed unappetizing. But, this is one way to have it I have come to truly enjoy it. Seriously.
Tuna is so dang affordable – there are Whole30-compliant versions at Walmart and Winco that are as low as $ 0.68/can. In my area, it is the most affordable animal protein option. PLUS, it’s an awesome option for a shelf-stable protein pantry food staple/food storage. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, it was one of the first things I stocked up on. Also, it’s a great on-the-go protein and we often take it camping, road trips to eat in the car, work lunches, or just a fast lunch at home.
Why We Love This Everything Bagel Whole30 Tuna Salad
I add 3 ingredients to it you might not think of that make a world of difference: sweet Date Mustard (like Whole30 Honey Mustard), everything bagel seasoning, and garlic salt. These simple add-ons make it so flavorful but still really easy. This lunch can be ready in 10 minutes!
Plus, it’s Whole30, Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, with egg-free options. I love that it meets a variety of dietary needs. We pair it with Homemade Plantain Chips if on a Whole30, as no store-bought chips are allowed on Whole30. If you aren’t on a Whole30, it’s delicious with plantain chips from Trader Joe’s or in a grilled tuna sandwich (below). I spread Canyon Bakehouse bread with ghee and grill both sides to crispy warm deliciousness. So good!
- Canned tuna – If you are on a Whole30, just double-check the ingredients. A lot of canned tuna contains soy (look for the “CONTAINS SOY” disclaimer below the ingredients), which is not Whole30 compatible. My Walmart has a store brand that is compatible, as well as I can find it fairly affordably at Winco.
- Date Mustard – My Whole30 Date Mustard is literally my most loved sauce of all times. I have to have it on hand in my fridge. And it adds a sweetness to this tuna salad you are going to LOVE. It makes this!
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – I find this at most stores these days, including Trader Joe’s or Walmart.
- Garlic salt – If you are on a Whole30, double check your garlic salt doesn’t have dextrose (a form of sugar that is not allowed). I find a Whole30 compatible garlic salt at Trader Joe’s – it’s a garlic salt grinder.
- Optional to serve: Homemade Plantain Chips or lettuce cups. I always prefer butter lettuce for my lettuce cups – they wrap wonderfully with the nice soft leaves.
How to make it
Open tuna can and drain water. Mix date mustard and drained tuna in a small bowl. The range is due to different preferences – I like my tuna moist so I use the higher end of the range, whereas my hubby likes it more dry.
Top with Everything Bagel Seasoning (again to preference – we like it heavy on the EBS!) and garlic salt. Serve with plantain chips or lettuce cups. I love eating it with plantain chips as a spoon! Now wasn’t that easy?
Sweet Everything Bagel Whole30 Tuna Salad
- 1 5 oz can tuna *make sure it's compliant if on Whole30
- 2-4 tablespoons date mustard *see notes for recipe link
- 1-2 teaspoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Serve with homemade plantain chips or in lettuce cups
- Open tuna can and drain water. Mix date mustard and drained tuna in a small bowl. The range is due to different preferences - I like my tuna moist so I use the higher end of the range, whereas my hubby likes it more dry.
- Top with Everything Bagel Seasoning (again to preference - we like it heavy on the EBS!) and garlic salt.
- Serve with plantain chips or lettuce cups. I love eating it with plantain chips as a spoon!