My kids can’t keep their hands off these Freezer Nut Butter Balls. I LOVE having these around as an easy snack. As often is the case with me, this is a very flexible recipe. Use whatever nut butter or sun butter works for your family (my kids prefer peanut butter and that works for them, so I use the Trader Joe’s no sugar added creamy variety, my hubby and I prefer almond or cashew butter), keeping in mind all nut butters have a slightly different consistency which will change the amount of add-in chopped nuts needed.
For the chopped nuts, we use whatever is on hand – usually almond, cashews, walnuts, sometimes pecan, and usually unsweetened coconut flakes. My husband and I also enjoy chopped seeds as well. Use whatever works for your taste, budget, and allergy needs!
Keto Option: Make sure your nut butter doesn’t have added sugar and use low-carb nuts such as almonds, macadamia nuts, pecans, and walnuts (not cashews) or seeds and coconut flakes.
Freezer Nut Butter Balls
- 3-4 cups finely chopped nuts seeds, and coconut flakes of your choice see notes for nut-free option
- 1 cup smooth nut or sun butter of choice
- 1/2 cup honey see notes for keto option
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Combine all the liquid ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, stirring until smooth.
- Add in chopped nuts/seeds and stir until combined. Keep in mind, the more chopped nuts you add, the denser the balls will be and the amount needed will depend on personal preference and type of nut butter used. If you use the full 4 cups, they will be able to roll into balls and will be denser. You will also need more towards the 4 cups if your nut or sun butter is a drippy/thinner consistency If you use 3 cups, they will freeze more flat and be more the texture of like a no-bake cookie.
- Scoop by spoonfuls onto a cooking pan lined with parchment or sprayed with cooking spray. How many it makes depends on size, but for us this makes 18-20 balls. Freeze laying flat for 15-20 minutes until solid.
- Eat straight out of the freezer (these will not hold up at room temperature and are meant to be kept in the freezer!). I store them in a freezer gallon ziplock bag in the freezer, but these go fast in our house! A great healthy snack or add-on to a meal.
- Can't have nuts? Use sun butter and old-fashioned oats and seeds and/or coconut flakes instead!
- Need a Keto twist? Use a liquid sweetener like Lakanto syrup to make this keto-friendly!
So delicious! Perfect summer snack. 😋
Easy to make and a perfect treat to keep in the freezer!
I made this last week for the first time and they did not last long in my house. I love that you can adjust the type of nuts and the amount of coconut that you want to use for your family.
Yes! They are so flexible and customizable. So glad your family enjoyed them! 😃
Has anyone tried adding coco powder to the liquid mix to make it chocolate-y? My kids love anything chocolate:)
I haven’t, but I bet that could be delicious! Let me know if you try it!
Has anyone tried adding coco powder to the liquid mix??
Great question! I haven’t but will have to play around with it. I bet it could be delicious! Let me know if you try it.
Before I make these …any reason adding dried fruit would not work in these as well?
No, dried fruit could be a delicious add-in! Enjoy!
I love these!!! But I’m so sensitive to sugar even the honey is too intense. Think they’ll work with Maple syrup?
Good question! They won’t get as solid with maple syrup, as maple syrup is thinner, but still enjoyable! Be sure to store in the freezer.
These are so good. My 7 year old is able to make them and LOVES them. The whole family eats them as a treat and a snack and we are now making them weekly.
That’s so awesome these are now on the rotation, thank you!
I am trying hard to cut down on sugar and I think these will be the ticket. I made for the first time and they are a hit! I am going to try to cut back a little on the honey each new batch and see if I can still swing it.
That’s great that you are looking for snacks/treats with less sugar and glad these fit the bill. Thank you!
These are so quick and easy to make and I always keep them in my freezer. I brought these to a friends house for a healthy after dinner treat and they all loved them- even the non healthy eaters!! When I’m craving sweets, this is my go to snack.
Yay! I love that these were an easy win for both you and your friend’s family. Thank you!
Love this recipe! Easy to follow and delicious!!
I’m so happy these were an easy, tasty win! Thank you!
My family LOVES these! Great after school snack for the kids. I love that they are filled with good ingredients, not sugar and junk. I love having them on hand for my kids.
These are AMAZING! My sister recommended the recipe, her whole family loves them too. I used pecans, coconut, and almond butter. My husband can’t stop eating them haha.
Awesome, so thrilled you enjoyed this easy one! They are devoured in our house quickly too and we love how versatile they are to what you have on hand. Thank you!