The Halloween-themed love continues with these Oreo Mummies which can be made two ways. Oreo Truffles are still one of our all-time favorite desserts and are always a hit when we make them to share. I followed the Oreo Truffle recipe (also below), this time choosing to use the Glutino GF/DF oreos from Walmart, the new white chocolate Great Value GF/DF chips from Walmart, and no mint extract. The eyes are mini Enjoy Life Foods DF chocolate chips, with white squiggles on top to create the “mummy” look. Just be sure to put the chocolate chip eyes on while the outer dipped coating is still wet.
TIP: I create the white squiggles by filling a sandwich ziplock bag with melted chocolate, pushing it all over to one corner and then cutting off a very small tip of the corner to create almost a frosting tube type decorative bag. I also twist the bag just above the chocolate line to help push down the chocolate and prevent it from moving around the bag while squeezing it onto the dipped mummies.
The second way is even simpler, with a throw back to one of my all-time faves: white chocoalte covered Oreos. They come out every Christmas and I always bought a box and didn’t share, just savored them throughout the season. I was thrilled that the DF white chocolate chips from Walmart allowed me to have those again! You can do them with or without sucker sticks in them. If using the sucker sticks, untwist the oreo, dip the sucker stick in the melted white chocolate and place in the white cream of the open oreo. Gently place the lid back on and press together, pushing the sucker stick into the cream. The white chocolate will hold it together, but be sure to not try to dip until cooled and hardened.
TIP: The GF/DF Great Value white chocolate chips don’t melt well in the microwave, as they get too hot and then they turn thick and pasty. I found it best to melt in a saucepan over low heat (yes LOW, don’t try anything higher!), stirring continuously for a few minutes until melted. This is a great job for one of your kiddos!
Dip the oreos entirely into melted white chocolate, tapping off excess, then laying flat on a sheet of parchment paper. Repeat with all oreos, again pressing the mini chip “eyes” onto the dipped oreos while still wet. Then, use some melted white chocolate to squiggle on the mummy “wrap”.
Let both cool until hard, either on the counter or the fridge and enjoy the creepy deliciousness!
Paleo "Oreo" Truffles
- 4 cups GF/DF chocoate sandwich cookie crumbs *see notes
- 4 oz dairy-free cream cheese like Kitehill
- 1 10oz package dairy-free chocolate or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon mint or peppermint extract optional
- Put cookie crumbs and cream cheese in a food processor and extract, if using it. Pulse until mixture is combined and forms a large ball. Mixture should not be crumbly and hold together, but not be too sticky to form into balls. See notes if not the case.
- Form small balls of cookie mixture (*a great part to let kids help with!) and place them on a tray sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Freeze until hard, 30 min-hour.
- Remove from freezer. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove. Dip each frozen cookie ball in the melted chocolate and place back on tray. We make this process easier by stabbing each frozen ball with a toothpick for dipping, then removing once placed on tray and covering up the hole with a small dab of melted chocolate.
- Repeat with all frozen cookie balls. Top with decorative chocolate, nuts, or melted chocolate squiggles. Store in the freezer or fridge.
These were so good and so easy! Made then for a Halloween party and they were a hit!
Hooray! So happy these were a Halloween hit – thank you! 🎃
My family LOVES these and I love that they are so easy my teenager can make them. Fun for holidays or any days!
I’m so happy your family loves this delicious festive dessert, thank you!