Though I love how tasty and easy Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage comes with a high price – at around $5 per 12 oz package, that comes to about $6.50 per pound. Ouch! ?
Again, if you can’t afford to pay for that convenience (or don’t have this product locally) – it’s time to make it yourself! Homemade sausage patties are super easy, IMO taste better, and can be made with either ground chicken or ground turkey. Ground chicken at Winco Foods this week was $4.28/pound, whereas a 2 pound package of ground turkey came out to only $3 per pound ($5.98 for two pounds). So I made these with turkey and still enjoyed the taste ? #eggfreebreakfast
I don’t bother to peel the apple and chop it in my mini food processor to get it nice and small. I prefer coconut oil to cook in, but other oils or ghee works too! The seasonings are very flexible – feel free to play around with them to your own flavor preferences. I paired mine with my date mustard sauce and a brussels sprout/cauliflower fritters hash. ?? See recipe for airfryer modifications!
Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2/3 cup finely chopped apple I use my mini food processor to finely chop
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or ghee*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine everything but the oil in a medium bowl.
- Place oil* in skillet over medium high heat (*skip this step and oil ingredient if using #airfryer - see notes for air frying instructions).
- Once oil is hot, add small scoops of sausage mixture, flattened slightly between your hands.
- Cook till brown on both sides and no longer pink inside, about 3-4 minutes each side. Makes 10-12 sausage patties.
- Stores great in the freezer! Freeze in a single layer, then store in freezer in a sealed container for up to 3 months.