This recipe is a sample from my cookbook Whole Food for Your Family, which has 100+ budget- and family-friendly recipes. You can learn more or grab a copy of my cookbook HERE!
You can’t live in California without being aware of a very famous burger chain that only sells burgers and fries, and man are they good at what they do! My oldest son got his first job there, and all the youngers fell in love with their food and wanted to follow suit. Of course I had to re-create these favorite flavors at home.
The burger bites are fun for dinner or they make a great appetizer. You can assemble your own burger bites with your toppings of choice – onion, tomato, lettuce, avocado, bacon – then dip them in the special sauce.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 toothpicks
- Toppings of choice, cut into bite-sized pieces onion, tomato, lettuce, avocado, bacon
For the Special Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo See notes for link to my homemade mayo
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons date paste See notes for recipe link. Only needed if you are using unsweetened ketchup.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pickle
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- MAKE THE SAUCE: In a small bowl, combine the mayo, ketchup, date paste (if using), pickle, vinegar, paprika, and salt. Mix well. Store in the fridge until ready to use. Extra sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- MAKE THE BITES: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set a cooling rack inside, if you have one.
- Shape the ground beef into about 28 (1-tablespoon) balls. Do your best to handle the meat as little as possible, which can make the burger bites tougher. Arrange the balls on the cooling rack or parchment paper and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes until no longer pick inside.
- AIRFRYER OPTION: Cook the burger bites in a single layer at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Serve the bites on toothpicks with the toppings along with the special sauce.