Meet our go-to favorite blueberry recipe – Paleo Lemon Blueberry Scone. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and kid approved. Make it in a scone shape, or in muffin sizes for lunch boxes. And, as is the goal with my recipes – it’s easy and made with 8 ingredients you might already have on hand! #winning They also freeze great as a make ahead! Don’t like or have lemon extract? Just use the same amount of vanilla extract + the zest from one lemon instead.
Paleo Blueberry Lemon Scone or Muffins
- 1 1/3 cups almond flour see notes for nut free option!
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen, see notes*
- 1/4 cup oil light tasting olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract** or vanilla extract + the zest from one medium lemon
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
- Gently stir blueberries into mixed batter, stirring minimally. See note if you are using frozen blueberries.
- Line an 8x8 circle cake pan with parchment paper OR line muffin tins with muffin wrappers (makes about 9 muffins). Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Cook at 350 for 30 minutes if making an 8x8 scone, or 15-18 minutes if baking muffins.
**For subtle lemon flavor or if you don't have lemon extract, use just lemon extract OR vanilla extract + lemon zest as written. If you love lemon flavor like I do, use both lemon extract and the zest of one lemon.
NUT-FREE VARIATION - Instead of the almond flour + tapioca/arrowroot flour use ONLY 3/4 cup cassava flour + an additional 1/4 cup oil. This will yield slightly less batter but the right consistency.