These Paleo Chicken Taquitos are sure to be a fast family favorite! The filling is delicious and easy to make. They are a handheld dinner you can cook in the air fryer or oven! Plus, they are gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, egg-free, and nut-free. Great for so many allergen needs.
Why we love these Paleo Chicken Taquitos
Taquitos are a frozen food appetizer or dinner favorite. However, they usually have a long list of ingredients and preservatives. These are made with simple ingredients to keep them flavorful and nourishing.
I love a dish you can make in the air fryer and these you can! Easy to cook until crispy in your air fryer or oven. Spraying them with cooking oil first helps ensure they have a crunchy outside to compliment the tasty gooey filling.
Once you have chopped chicken ready, the filling is quick to bring together. The chicken broth, milk, and starch make almost a cream of chicken base, which we add taco seasoning to. Only 7 ingredients for this simple but fun dinner!
We love it paired with my Cilantro Salsa Slaw. Pair with a side of fruit, and you have a fast 30-minute nourishing dinner! Love how family-friendly these are. Kid-approved by all 5 of my boys!
- Paleo Tortillas – I love to use my homemade cassava flour tortillas from my Cookbook, made into a small 6″ tortilla size. However, if you don’t have my cookbook or don’t want to make your tortillas, you can use paleo Siete Tortillas that I can find at Walmart. They are a bit pricey, but simple ingredients I love. Or, if you only need a gluten-free option, many corn tortillas are gluten-free and will work great in this recipe. If you are using corn tortillas, wrap the stack of tortillas in a wet paper towel or thin towel and microwave for 1.5. minutes. This will soften them and help them be flexible enough to wrap.
- Chicken broth – Just basic chicken broth here, though you can use chicken bone broth if you want!
- Dairy-free milk – I love using full-fat canned coconut milk for this sauce, as it makes it rich and creamy. But you can use whatever dairy-free milk works best for you.
- Potato, tapioca, or arrowroot starch – These will act like a thickener, similar to cornstarch but without the grains. In this recipe, any of these will work well. Use what’s accessible to you!
- Taco Seasoning – I love to use my Homemade Taco Seasoning, as it’s easy and budget-friendly.
- Chopped Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast – I steam this in my instant pot, and then chop it up fine. You can also shred it, but we liked the texture of the chopped chicken in these taquitos best.
- Dairy-free Mexican or Cheddar Cheese Shreds – I love the flavor and melt of Violife cheese. It’s our favorite dairy-free cheese, but is NOT Paleo, as it has lentil protein in it. You can read my full review on our Favorite Dairy-free Cheeses, with links, here. That blog post includes details on Whole365 dairy-free cheese, which is Whole30 and Paleo compatible.
- Salsa (optional) – We love dipping these into my Blender Salsa. So easy and delicious! 3 minutes to make, no chopping tomatoes by hand (it uses canned tomatoes!), and it tastes like restaurant salsa.
Paleo Chicken Taquitos
- 12 paleo tortillas* see note
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca, potato, or arrowroot starch or flour
- 2` tablespoons taco seasoning
- 5 cups finely chopped steamed chicken breast
- 2 cups dairy-free Mexican or cheddar cheese
- Cooking oil spray and salt
- Optional for topping: Salsa or Cilantro Ranch
- If using the oven, preheat to 425 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium pot, whisk together the chicken broth, milk, taco seasoning, and starch or flour. Place over medium heat and stir regularly until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine in a large bowl the sauce, chopped chicken and dairy-free cheese. Stir until well combined. Spoon 1/3 cup of the filling down the middle of the tortilla. Pull one side of the tortilla over the filling and roll tightly. Repeat with all the filling and tortillas.
- Spray taquitos generously with cooking oil spray. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- OVEN: Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes, until tortillas are crispy.
- AIR FRYER: Airfry at 350 for 10 minutes, until tortillas are crispy.
- Serve with salsa or cilantro ranch, if desired.
- TO FREEZE: Store cooked taquitos in a sealed container for up to 3 months. To reheat, warm in an oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes or in the air fryer for 5 minutes, or until warm.