PALEO CHOCOLATE CARAMEL COOKIE BARS – Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, with nut-free option. With cookie, caramel, and chocolate layers, this one hits the spot and quickly has become a favorite! These were inspired by a decadent cookie bar a dear friend in Oregon used to make that I knew I needed to create a recipe around.
About That Caramel
I use my easy Homemade Paleo Caramel to keep this recipe paleo, though you can use any vegan or regular caramel that works for you. I personally found vegan caramel hard to find and expensive. So, I created my own Paleo Caramel recipe! It only uses 3 ingredients and takes 10 minutes hands-on prep. Such a great paleo ice cream topping or ingredient for almost Twix-like bars like these.
- We love using the almond flour and coconut oil for healthy fats that balance out the sugar, but I included a nut-free option as well for those who need it, and these are already naturally egg-free.
- These will come out of the oven looking gooey and not done. No worries – they will take shape in the freezer!
- These are best kept in and eaten out of the fridge, though you can leave them out for a few hours and still be ok, especially if they were previously in the freezer.
- Almond flour – I prefer “super-fine” almond flour to get the best texture. I like this one from Blue Diamond I can get at Sam’s Club or Amazon. See notes for nut-free option!
- Tapioca flour – I get mine from the bulk bins at Winco. You can also find it easily on Amazon here. You can also use arrowroot or potato starch if those are more accessible for you!
- Coconut sugar – I get my coconut sugar most affordably from the bulk bins at Winco. When I buy it online, here (1.5 pounds) or here (5lbs, cheaper but in bulk) are the one I get from Amazon.
- Baking Powder
- Melted Coconut Oil or Ghee – Coconut oil is a great option if you need these to be vegan. Or you can swap a vegan butter like Miyokos in equal amounts. Measured after you melt it!
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract is ideal, and also sometimes it’s dang pricey. Imitation vanilla extract works too!
- Paleo Caramel – I use my Paleo Caramel recipe here. You can use any vegan caramel that works for you though!
- Dairy-free Chocolate Chips – I use Enjoy Life Foods, as it’s the easiest for me to find locally and tastes great. You can also use Hu kitchen chocolate for a Paleo option!
Oh these are good – be sure to make these soon!
Paleo Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars
- 2 cups almond flour*
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup paleo caramel see notes
- 3/4 cup mini or regular dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (almond flour through salt). Then add vanilla and coconut oil and stir still combined.
- Press half of cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel and then sprinkle with chocolate chips. Finally, crumble the remaining half of the dough over the chocolate chips and caramel. Bake again for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chill in freezer for 1 hour until solid. Store in the fridge or freezer.
SUBSTITUTIONS: Need a nut-free option? We also enjoyed this with 1 cup cassava flour + 1 1/2 cup oats instead of the almond + tapioca flour.