Up until a year ago, my kids lived on cereal and milk. They ate it at least 2x a day, often 3. As of a month ago, we hadn’t found a clean swap for that that was enjoyed and easy to make.
However, this granola recipe has brought “cereal” back into my kiddos lives again and they are thrilled! It definitely is not a multiple times a day or even really every day food anymore, as their food horizons have broadened greatly (hallelujah!), but a nice option for fast mornings or an afternoon snack.
I love the flexibility of this recipe! You basically need 7 1/2 cups of base ingredients – whatever combination of nuts, seeds, unsweetened coconut, raisins that fits your family’s tastes and budget. Below is how it usually looks for us (5 1/2 cups nuts, 1 cup coconut flakes, and 1 cup seeds), but if you want to use 1 cup of raisins, swap that out and use 1 cup less of nuts.
For the nuts, I usually use a combination of almonds, walnuts, cashews, or pecans. Sometimes, TBH, it’s just a clean out of what we have in the pantry! Try to get different textures of nuts (slivered, chopped, whole) if you are not doing the optional food processor chopping of the nuts.
- 5 1/2 c chopped raw nuts*
- 1 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup we like the milder flavor of half of each (1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup honey)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt omit if any of your nuts were salted
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients, including nuts, in a large bowl. Set aside. **Optional - if you want a less chunky consistency, then pulse your nuts in the food processor a little bit until they are smaller more consistent size chunks (how my kids like it).
- Combine honey and ghee in a small saucepan over low heat. Once warm and combined, remove from heat and add vanilla. Then add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 75 minutes. Note: the granola will become crisp as it cools - let cool before breaking apart