This 5-ingredient Paleo ice cream only takes minutes to prepare and hits the easy button on dairy-free ice cream! Dairy-free ice cream is $5 a pint and often has ingredients I don’t totally love (like cane sugar and unpronounceables). This one has ZERO refined sugar – and is only sweetened by 1/4 cup of honey for the pint (2 cups) of ice cream. That was pretty dang exciting to me as a mom.
No ice cream maker required, though you will get faster creamier results if you’ve got one. I love my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker – fast and is big enough to make a double batch. And this ice cream is creamier than most store bought dairy-free ice creams I’ve tried so far (which is a lot). You’re going to love this one!
Paleo Mint Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup coconut cream **see note below
- 1/2 cup almond or other dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate mini chips
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except chocolate chips. If you have a powerful high speed blender, only use the lower settings. The very high speeds will make this chunky (and there's no coming back from it!). It should be smooth.
- Pour combined liquid into a freezer-friendly dish (if using ice cream maker, skip to below step). Sprinkle in chocolate chips. Seal and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- If using ice cream maker, pour combined liquid instead into the ice cream maker and add chocolate chips. Turn on ice cream maker and mix for 25-30 minutes. This will result in a soft-serve texture, which we love! If you want something more firm, put in freezer for another 30 minutes to firm it up.
- Serve right out of freezer and enjoy!
If you can't find coconut cream: take 2 cans full-fat canned coconut milk and place it in the fridge overnight. Remove from fridge and open, pouring out the liquid and keeping only the solid cream. And sadly, I have found a few brands of coconut milk that due to some kind of stabilizer (not sure which one), it will never solidify in the fridge, so if that happens, it's not you ; ). I have had good success with Thai Kitchen brand.