I remember quite a few Christmas’ my mom got herself a chocolate orange for Christmas. It came in shiny gold wrapping and just looked decadent. She didn’t share it, this was something just for her.
Truly, orange and chocolate is a decadent flavor combo that belongs together. This recipe is super easy to make and takes only 8-9 ingredients. It can be cooked in a scone pan, circular cake pan, or in a muffin tin. We love it with Enjoy Life chocolate chunks, but you can also use regular or mini chips. Hu Hunks are a great option for paleo chocolate chips – I’d recommend chopping these up a little. I love the richness and healthy fats that using almond flour provides, but there is a nut-free cassava flour option included as well!
Perfect for an easy morning treat or a fun lunchbox add-on!
Paleo Orange Chocolate Scone
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour see notes for nut-free variation
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup extra light tasting olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips we prefer the chunks!
- Preheat the oven to 350. If using a scone pan, spray with cooking oil. If using a round cake pan, line with parchment paper. If using a muffin tin, spray tin with cooking oil or line with muffin wrappers.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients except chocolate chunks in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Then stir in the chocolate chunks or chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Cook at 350 for 30 minutes if using a circle cake pan, 16-18 minutes if using scone or muffin pan. They are done with you touch the tops and it springs back.
- These freeze great - freeze in a single layer and then put all together in a sealed container or reusable bag for up to 3 months.