A makeover of one of our all time favorites – Oreo Truffles. They used to be a go-to and I literally taught classes on how to make this delicious, fancy, yet EASY dessert (google it, it’s a thing ?)
So, I was determined this year to make a gluten-free dairy-free option. The original recipe called for a family sized package of Oreos, 8 oz of cream cheese and dipping chocolate. A few options – you can fairly easily find GF/DF Oreos or Glutino Chocolate Sandwich cookies – these won’t be paleo, but still fit the need for GF/DF. For even better ingredients, use Simple Mills crunchy double chocolate cookies. Now there’s ingredients I can get behind! So easy team! You can leave them straight up chocolate, or use mint or peppermint extract, depending on the season. These are easily made ahead and stored in the freezer for up to a few months.
One of our all-time faves and only 3-4 ingredients. Wahoo!
Paleo "Oreo" Truffles
- 4 cups GF/DF chocoate sandwich cookie crumbs *see notes
- 4 oz dairy-free cream cheese like Kitehill
- 1 10oz package dairy-free chocolate or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon mint or peppermint extract optional
- Put cookie crumbs and cream cheese in a food processor and extract, if using it. Pulse until mixture is combined and forms a large ball. Mixture should not be crumbly and hold together, but not be too sticky to form into balls. See notes if not the case.
- Form small balls of cookie mixture (*a great part to let kids help with!) and place them on a tray sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Freeze until hard, 30 min-hour.
- Remove from freezer. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove. Dip each frozen cookie ball in the melted chocolate and place back on tray. We make this process easier by stabbing each frozen ball with a toothpick for dipping, then removing once placed on tray and covering up the hole with a small dab of melted chocolate.
- Repeat with all frozen cookie balls. Top with decorative chocolate, nuts, or melted chocolate squiggles. Store in the freezer or fridge.