Can’t stop, won’t stop with the peppermint + chocolate holiday combos! This creamy easy ice cream is like peppermint bark in ice cream form. Gluten-free, dairy-free, tree nut-free and only 5 ingredients, this one is a must try!
My boys and I always had the holiday tradition to get Candy Cane ice cream or milkshakes. It was time for a come back when I made this easy candy-cane flavored ice cream.
I definitely recommend investing in an ice cream maker. We are pretty budget-focused in this household, but an ice cream maker was such a worth it investment for us! We love this Cuisinart one, so simple and fast. However, you can also just throw this in the freezer if you don’t have an ice cream maker. It won’t be as creamy, but still delicious!
Paleo Peppermint Ice Cream
- 1 cup coconut cream (the white solid cream from a chilled 15oz can coconut cream) **see notes
- 1/2 cup almond or other dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate mini chips We love Enjoy Life Foods. Can also use chopped up larger chips.
- 3-4 candy canes, crushed optional, for a fun crunch and added flavor
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except chocolate chips on low-medium speed until combined. In a higher power blender like a Vitamix, this is on like 3 out of 10 speeds. For less powerful blenders, use medium speed. If you over blend, the coconut cream gets chunky and there's no going back! Aim to mix, not pulverize.
- Pour combined liquid into a freezer-friendly dish (if using ice cream maker, skip to below step. Sprinkle in chocolate chips and crushed candy canes if using. Seal and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- If using an ice cream maker, pour combined liquid into the ice cream maker and follow ice cream maker instructions. Add in chocolate chips and crushed candy canes, if using, halfway through the ice cream churning process. Enjoy right out of the ice cream maker for more of a soft serve texture (our favorite!), or place in freezer for another hour for more solid scoops.
Use of candy canes is optional, but my boys loved them for a bit of a fun crunch and boost of flavor. We used the Wholesome brand from our local natural food store that has fewer ingredients and no high fructose corn syrup (they do have white sugar).