This pot pie is comfort food at it’s best. I love that it makes a 9×13 pan, which is enough to feed a crowd (or a large family like mine, ha!) and leftovers freeze great! It’s versatile, as you can use either chicken or turkey, chopped or shredded, and the combination possibilities of veggies is endless. A great dish to use up leftover odds and ends in your fridge. This delicious dish comes out every time my parents come into town – we love it!
Paleo Pot Pie
- 3/4 cup melted ghee
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken or turkey broth or bone broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canned full fat coconut milk
Meat & Veggies
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken or turkey meat cubed or shredded
- 8 cups chopped veggies *see note
- 2 1/2 cups cassava flour
- 1 cup palm shortening**
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-1 1/2 cups ice water
- Steam or boil veggies for 10 minutes till tender. (I prefer to use my "Steam" setting on my InstantPot for this - adding veggies + 1/4 cup water and steaming for 10 minutes)
- For the crust, combine flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor. Add shortening and pulse 4-5 times, until shortening is chopped fine within flour. With the motor running, slowly add ice water until dough forms a ball. If dough is still crumbly, add a little more ice water until a dough ball just forms. *Try to only add as much water as needed to hold it together and don't over mix, or you will have a tough crust. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap and put in fridge while you make the sauce.
- For sauce, combine melted ghee and chopped onion in a medium skillet on the stove on medium heat. Cook until onion is translucent. Whisk in the flour and cook 3 more minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper, and cook on medium high heat until sauce thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Then whisk in coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9x13 pan, add chopped or shredded chicken or turkey and steamed veggies. Add sauce and stir to combine.
- Remove crust from fridge and roll flat between two sheets of parchment paper to the size of your 9x13 pan. Remove top layer of parchment, and then flip onto the top of your 9x13 pan. Pinch edges of crust if desired (it looks pretty ; ) and patch any crust holes as needed.
- Bake with the 9x13 pan on a cookie sheet (sauce will bubble and spill over, this prevents it from burning onto the bottom of your oven) for 1 hour. Enjoy and remember leftovers freeze great on this one!
SUBSTITUTIONS: You can use cold butter instead of palm shortening, if you can tolerate some dairy. There is no other paleo subsitution for the cassava flour - almond, coconut, or tapioca will not work the same in this recipe.Though, another gluten-free flour that measures 1:1 like white flour would work instead of cassava flour.