Pumpkin Muffins/Cupcakes are the essence of fall. I don’t even really like most things pumpkin, but this recipe I am in love with. So versitile – top with cream cheese frosting or glaze, or throw in some chocolate chips. Includes two sets of options for flour, depending on your budget and food sensitivities, including a nut-free option. Also includes a range of sugar, as really that’s when you cross over from a muffin to a cupcake…I’ll let you decide which side of that line you want to side on!
Paleo Pumpkin Muffins/Cupcakes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil I prefer coconut, but extra light tasting olive oil works too
- 1/2-1 cup coconut sugar see notes below
- 3/4 cup cassava flour see other option in notes below
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare muffin tin by lining with muffin wrappers or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine all wet ingredients (puree, eggs, oil) and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir till just combined.
- If using chocolate chips, gently stir those in.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin cups. Bake at 325 for 28-32 minutes, until top of the muffin bounces back when touched.
- Cool and enjoy! To freeze, freeze in a single layer (once cooled) and then store in a sealed ziplock or container for up to 3 months.
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour
SUGAR: These work with a range of sugar. 1/2 cup it will taste more like a muffin and is what I use if I'm adding chocolate chips. 1 cup is more on the cupcake side or also what I use if I am taking these to an event, to make them more appealing to the masses.
FROSTING: If we add chocolate chips, we don't usually frost. But, otherwise we love Miss Jones Baking Company "Cream Cheese" frosting that is nice and thick but dairy-free and gluten-free. It has powdered sugar, so not paleo, but only 6 ingredients that I can otherwise get behind!