Wow, these Paleo Sweet Bacon-Wrapped Smokies are a hands-down favorite for any football game or party appetizer! My friend in Oregon, Kari Holley, would make these for parties and no one could keep their hands off of them. They were devoured every time! Happy to share a Paleo version that our family loves.
What We Love About These Paleo Sweet Bacon-Wrapped Smokies
Four ingredients, done in 30 minutes, a perfect appetizer, and so dang good! The perfect combination of sweet and savory, this appetizer is always popular but so easy to make. Love that they can be made in the oven or air fryer!
The only part of the recipe that takes a little time is wrapping the individual sausages with bacon. But trust me, it’s worth it! Then we brush with maple syrup and sprinkle with coconut sugar to give it a sweet crispy coating you can’t resist.
- Smokie cocktail sausages – I make these using the Whole30 Approved Teton Waters Ranch Smoked Cocktail Sausages to keep them Paleo, but you can use whatever little sausages are accessible to you.
- Bacon – Again, up to you what kind you use here. I most often have Whole30 compatible Costco low-sodium bacon in my house, as it doesn’t have any added sugar or weird additives but is budget-friendly!
- Maple syrup – Just make sure it’s 100% pure maple syrup to keep this Paleo. Need a Keto option? Use the Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup instead.
- Coconut sugar – I find this easily in the bulk bins at Winco, at Walmart, or on Amazon. It’s a great Paleo swap for a traditional brown sugar. Need a Keto option? Use Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener.
- Toothpicks – These just help the bacon stay on the smokies while cooking
Paleo Sweet Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 1 package smoked cocktail sausages
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. These will work best if the bacon grease can drain while cooking. I like to set a cooling rack into a baking sheet to allow for this, or you can use a broiling pan.
- Cut bacon into small pieces that will just barely wrap around the sausages. For me, that meant cutting the bacon slices into 1/4ths, but that may vary if you are using a thicker bacon.
- Pour the 1/4 cup maple syrup into the bowl. You can either lay the cut bacon piece into the maple syrup and then wrap it around the sausage OR wrap it around the sausage and then brush the bacon with maple syrup. Either way, secure the bacon piece ends to the sausage with a toothpick, preventing the bacon from curling off the sausage when cooking. Repeat with all sausages.
- Lay all wrapped sausages on the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the wrapped sausages with 2 tablespoons of the coconut sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Flip and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar. Bake for another 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve hot and try not to eat them all before you get to the party!
AIRFRYER INSTRUCTIONS - Wrap and prepare the smokies the same as in the oven, including using a toothpick. Airfry at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway, to desired crispiness.