Four ingredients, done in 30 minutes, a perfect appetizer, and so dang good! My good friend in Oregon, Kari Holley, would make a non-paleo version of these for many a party and I adored them. The perfect combination of sweet and savory, this appetizer is always popular but so easy to make!
I make these using the Whole30 Approved Teton Waters Ranch Smoked Cocktail Sausages to keep them Paleo, but you can use whatever little sausages are accessible to you. Love that they can be made in the oven or airfryer!
Paleo Sweet Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 1 package smoked cocktail sausages
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. These will work best if the bacon grease can drain while cooking. I like to set a cooling rack into a baking sheet to allow for this, or you can use a broiling pan.
- Cut bacon into small pieces that will just barely wrap around the sausages. For me, that meant cutting the bacon slices into 1/4ths, but that may vary if you are using a thicker bacon.
- Pour the 1/4 cup maple syrup into the bowl. You can either lay the cut bacon piece into the maple syrup and then wrap it around the sausage OR wrap it around the sausage and then brush the bacon with maple syrup. Either way, secure the bacon piece ends to the sausage with a toothpick, preventing the bacon from curling off the sausage when cooking. Repeat with all sausages.
- Lay all wrapped sausages on the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the wrapped sausages with 2 tablespoons of the coconut sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Flip and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar. Bake for another 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve hot and try not to eat them all before you get to the party!
AIRFRYER INSTRUCTIONS - Wrap and prepare the smokies the same as in the oven, including using a toothpick. Airfry at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway, to desired crispiness.