I did NOT grow up liking my veggies (anyone else?). I ate peas, corn and potatoes. I have learned though that I can like almost any veggie, with the right recipe. This recipe I love for it’s versatility and how kid-friendly it is as well – I got my kid’s buy-in with the crispy texture. I’ve served cauliflower fritters with breakfast, zucchini fritters for dinner, summer squash fritters are always a big hit with guests, and I have been having fun playing with combo fritters like cauli/broccoli/sweet potato fritters. They freeze great and I love reheating them in the airfryer, but you can also do it on the stove in a small amount of oil or in the oven as well.
Basically, you pick what combination of veggies you want with this recipe – have fun with it! The measurement of veggies needs to stay the same (2.5 cups total) and I recommend all your veggies are the same chopped size, so only using all riced veggies or all grated veggies. Riced veggies are veggies that are chopped really fine, down the to size of rice grains. I rice or grate mine in my food processor, but many stores now sell riced cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
PICK YOUR VEGGIE FRITTERS
- 2 1/2 cups shredded or riced veggies*
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion or garlic powder
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Oil to cook in I prefer coconut oil
- If using a really moist veggie like zucchini, after shredding, salt and then let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, squeeze out extra moisture with towel or paper towels. This will help the fritters be crispy.
- ADD all ingredients except cooking oil to a medium mixing bowl.
- STIR to combine.
- ADD a shallow amount of oil to saucepan (no deep frying on Whole30!) and heat at medium high heat.
- COOK once oil is hot, scooping mixture by 1/4 cup onto the oil. Flatten each fritter scoop as much as possible, or else the fritter will be mushy in the middle. Cook until golden brown, then flip (about 3-4 minutes each side)
- Makes about 12 fritters. Best when served hot and crispy!
I make these in bulk and then pull out of the freezer, recrispify, and eat for the week! Great way to get those veggies in all week long.
Recommended veggie combinations: We love shredded zucchini or summer squash fritters, riced cauliflower fritters, or shredded sweet potato fritters, or any combination of those veggies! But feel free to get crazy and try out other veggie combos for this recipe as well.