This egg-free Whole30 hash is a winner of a twist on a classic Mexican flavor. It comes together fast, freezes great, and even my kids gave it a thumbs up! Works well with the ground meat that fits your preference and budget, and though the plantains are one of my faves, you could also swap them out for frozen hashbrowns or potatoes. You can also top it with an egg or scramble some eggs into it to stretch it and if eggs work for you. We love it with my Cilantro Ranch on top!
TIME HACK: Use 3 cups frozen peppers and onion (like a fajita mix) instead of fresh.
So good – you’ll want to add this one to your meal plan stat!
Plantain Taco Hash
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil I prefer coconut
- 3 yellow plantains, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground meat of choice we enjoy beef, but chicken, turkey, pork or even chorizo would work great too!
- 1 packet taco seasoning compliant if on Whole30, see notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- toppings of choice - cilantro, avocado, guacamole, or salsa, or my cilantro ranch, as desired
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped plantains, and start to cook.
- While plantains are cooking, chop peppers and onion. Add to pan to cook with plantains as you chop (they don't need as long to cook as the plantains will so adding them after the plantains have started works great!). Cook for about 10 minutes, until plantains are golden and veggies are tender.
- Remove plantains and veggies from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the ground meat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook ground meat until just cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Stir back in cooked plantains and veggies. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste and cook 5 more minutes to combine flavors.
- Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!
For my easy homemade Whole30 Taco Seasoning, click here!
Delicious topped with just avocado, but also fabulous with cilantro, salsa, or guacamole. Or take the flavor up a notch by topping with my Cilantro Ranch Dressing...yummm!
Egg-free, but delicious topped with an egg for breakfast if that works for you.
TIME HACK: Use 3 cups frozen peppers & onion (like a fajita mix) instead of the fresh items.