This is a great easy stew that can hit the spot on a cold day. I love the flavors of this one and that most of the ingredients I already usually have on hand. Includes crockpot and instant pot variations. (Tip – don’t have either? You can always simmer soups in a large pot on medium-low, covered, on your stove until the veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through!)
Salsa Chicken Stew (with InstantPot & Crockpot options)
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cloves minced garlic OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 lbs. potatoes, cut into 1" chunks We love orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, but can also use russet potatoes
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced OR 1 cup jarred roasted red pepper
- 1/3 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Trim chicken breasts and cut into strips.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, broth, salsa, and garlic.
- On the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker or large instant pot, place chopped potatoes. Place chicken and diced red pepper on top of potatoes and pour broth mixture over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours. Or seal instant pot and cook on Stew for 25 minutes. Once done, manually release steam released if using instant pot, stir in cilantro and break up chicken as desired (we like large chunks, but shredded works too!). Serve and enjoy!
Also, if not on a Whole30, this pairs great with my Paleo Cornbread Muffins!