This Whole30 compliant tomato chicken basil soup comes together quickly, is flexible, and calls for things you might already have on hand! Love this easy soup that my boys devour and can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stove.
Whole30 Tomato, Chicken and Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 sliced carrots
- 3 8oz cans tomato sauce
- 2-3 *cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon garlic or regular salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 15 oz can coconut milk optional, if not using add 2 cups water
- In a large pot, melt ghee and then cook onion and celery until tender
- Add chicken broth, carrots, tomato sauce, shredded chicken, salt and water if not using coconut milk (if using coconut milk, wait until the end to add) and bring to a boil. Boil until veggies reach desired tenderness and flavors combine (about 20 minutes).
- Add coconut milk if using and 1 tablespoon dried basil. Enjoy!
INSTANT POT: You can make this whole thing start to finish in the instant pot, including making the shredded cooked chicken! Put two uncooked chicken breasts and 1/2 cup water in your instant pot. Seal and cook on Steam for 10 minutes. While cooking, chop all your veggies and measure out your liquids. Once chicken is done, release the steam, open, and remove chicken and water. Set aside chicken and dump out water. Put instant pot on Saute and melt ghee. Once ghee is melted, add onion and celery and cook until tender. Then add the carrots and chicken on top of the onion/celery and pour in all the liquids and spices except the coconut milk (if using). Seal instant pot and cook on Soup for 15 minutes. When done, release heat and open lid. Take out chicken breasts, shred, and put back into soup. Pour in coconut milk, adjust seasonings as needed (more salt? basil?) and serve! Hooray for one pot magic!