I’m a huge advocate of the power of healthy fat. After avoiding it for a solid decade+ (thank you “low fat” 90’s!), I have come to embrace it fully and have never been healthier. Fat is unique in it’s ability to satiate, great for mental health, helps stabilize blood sugar which = better/more stable moods, and minimized cravings. I make sure I have “plated fat” on at every meal (i.e. not just the fat I cook with, but fat ON my plate in the form of avocado, olives, nuts & seeds, nut butter, coconut milk or meat, and oil-based dressings). It’s a game changer, and I’ve had more than one client tell me it was THE thing that made the difference.
Wondering how to get more healthy fats in? These babies take 10 minutes to put together and are a great add on to any meal lacking in fat or for a satiating snack. Keep in mind, they are coconut oil based, so they are best stored in the freezer and aren’t very portable (unless you can keep them frozen). But I have been loving them at home!
Trail Mix Bites
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, and dried fruit *see note below for my favorite combo!
- In a small bowl, combine well with a whisk the almond butter, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla
- In a separate small bowl, combine desired nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Measure out 1 1/2 cup of this.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking oil (I prefer the silicone muffin tins). Divide the 1 1/2 cup nut combo evenly among the 12 muffin cups of the muffin tin.
- Evenly pour the liquid almond butter mixture over the nuts/seeds/fruit that are in each muffin cup. The liquid will come to just about the top of the nuts/seeds/fruit.
- Freeze, laying flat, in the freezer till solid, usually about 20-30 minutes. Once frozen, pop out of muffin tin and store in a sealed container or ziplock bag.
- Keep stored in freezer. Good for 3+ months, if kept in freezer.
- TREE-NUT FREE: Use sunbutter instead of almond butter, and stick to seeds, coconut flakes, and dried fruit for the nut/seed/fruit combo
- COCONUT OIL: Sorry team, due to the unique properties of coconut oil, you cannot sub out other oils in this recipe
- KETO: Use Lakanto Maple Flavored syrup instead of the honey, or liquid stevia drops, sweetening to taste. Leave out dried fruit, using only nuts/seeds/coconut flakes for the nut/seed/fruit comb