BBQ sauce is my hubby’s number one in sauces. The New Primal or Tessamaes makes a delicious compliant Whole30 BBQ…but at $7+ a bottle, it doesn’t fit well into a budget. This sauce costs less than a $1 per cup! And it’s so flexible – like a little more of a kick? Add the chili powder. Want a smokey flavor? Add the liquid smoke. Less or more sweet? Use less or more dates. The liquid smoke is Wrights brand and I get it @wincofoods in the dressing isle.
Whole30 BBQ Sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 oz can compliant tomato paste
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon compliant liquid smoke optional for smokey flavor
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder optional for a kick
- Soak dates in 1 cup hot water.
- While dates soften, add all other ingredients to blender or food processor.
- Discard the date water and add softened dates to the blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and all ingredients are incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning - need a kick? Add the (or more) chipotle. Too thick? Add a little more water.
- Put sauce into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and then use or store in closed container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.