This Whole30 brisket recipe is one of my most popular. I grew up in Texas and there they *know* brisket! This one is a make over of my best friend’s grandma’s recipe – straight from a Texas grandma to you. Seriously, put this in your meal plan stat! Great for kids and holidays.
This is often my go-to party appetizer to take, as I then know I will at least have a protein there I can have and it’s requested at every Whole30 group potluck I’ve had. I get this cut of meat from Winco.
- 2-2 ½ lbs beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or onion salt + garlic salt
- ½ a 3.5 bottle of Whole30 compatible liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoon compliant coconut aminos
- 1 cup compliant BBQ sauce homemade (see link in notes) or The New Primal or Tessamaes. Use extra sauce if you like it more saucey!
- Put beef in a roasting pan. Pour liquid smoke over the meat. Sprinkle seasoned salt over the meat, rubbing into the meat. Cover with aluminum foil and marinate overnight.
- OVEN: When ready to cook, remove from fridge and sprinkle with regular salt, pepper, and coconut aminos. Cover with foil and bake @275 for 7 hours or in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. Drain off all liquid, shred, remove excess fat, and pour BBQ sauce on meat. Bake uncovered at 325 for 20 minutes.
- SLOW COOKER: When ready to cook, remove meat from fridge and place in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with regular salt, pepper, and coconut aminos. Top with the 1 cup BBQ sauce. Cover with lid and cook on low for 9 hours. Should shred easily when ready.
- Great by itself, on roasted sweet potato slider rounds (see below) or a baked potato, or on a salad! Optional - extra sauce to drizzle on top (pictured)
- To make Sweet Potato sliders:
TOSS 1/4 inch circular slices of potato oil to coat.
LAY in a single layer on a baking sheet covered in parchment, sprinkling with
BAKE at 425 for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Sliders are done
with outside is browned and inside is tender.AIRFRYER MODIFICATION - Cook sliders for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, stir/flip, then cook at 400 for 10 minutes to crisp.