Why We Love This Whole30 Chicken Apple Sausage
These Whole30 Chicken Apple Sausage patties are super easy to make. Also, in my opinion, they taste better! And, they can be made with either ground chicken or ground turkey. Ground chicken at Winco Foods was $4.28/pound, whereas a 2-pound package of ground turkey came out to only $3 per pound ($5.98 for two pounds). So I made these with turkey and still enjoyed the taste.
My Whole30 Chicken Apple Sausage is not only Whole30, it’s Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and egg-free. A tasty eggless breakfast option for so many dietary needs. Plus, it’s quick and easy – coming together in 20 minutes! Finally, it can also be made in a skillet or an air fryer.
A Budget-Friendly Option
I love how budget-friendly this Whole30 Chicken Apple Sauge is. Though I love how tasty and easy Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage comes with a high price – at around $5 per 12 oz package, that comes to about $6.50 per pound. Ouch! Again, if you can’t afford to pay for that convenience (or don’t have this product locally) – it’s time to make it yourself!
Here is a price breakdown of what the cost of making these Whole30 Chicken Apple Sausages looks like. Note: These prices are based on prices from my local Walmart. I can’t tell you how much the ingredients will cost in YOUR local grocery store, but hopefully it is food for thought.
Tips and Tricks
- I don’t bother to peel the apple and chop it in my mini food processor to get it nice and small.
- I prefer coconut oil to cook in, but other oils or ghee work too!
- The seasonings are very flexible – feel free to play around with them to your own flavor preferences.
- I paired mine with my date mustard sauce and Cauliflower Fritters.
- Ground chicken or turkey – Use whichever you prefer or is more accessible to you.
- Apple – See tip above for how I chop my apple finely. Any type of apple will work, use whatever you need to use up or have on hand.
- Cooking oil – I prefer the flavor and crisp result of using coconut oil, but avocado or olive oil work as well.
- Dried sage – I get this from the bulk bins at Winco, where the prices are good and I can buy in small amounts.
- Dried thyme
- Onion powder
- Salt – I use traditional table salt here.
- Pepper – All my recipes when I say “pepper,” I mean black ground pepper.
Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2/3 cup finely chopped apple I use my mini food processor to finely chop
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or ghee*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine everything but the oil in a medium bowl.
- Place oil* in skillet over medium high heat (*skip this step and oil ingredient if using #airfryer - see notes for air frying instructions).
- Once oil is hot, add small scoops of sausage mixture, flattened slightly between your hands.
- Cook till brown on both sides and no longer pink inside, about 3-4 minutes each side. Makes 10-12 sausage patties.
- Stores great in the freezer! Freeze in a single layer, then store in freezer in a sealed container for up to 3 months.