These Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free nuggets with hidden veggies are a perfect family win! The hand-held shape is perfect for little hands, though these aren’t just for kids!
I love that they get in a veggie without any noticeable taste. We love them dipped in my Whole30 Date Mustard or BBQ Sauce. We make them in the oven for an easy one batch and done, but they can also be done in a single layer in your airfryer or on the stove for the crispiest outside.
Plus, these freeze great – so double batch and let your kids pull them out as needed. We love reheating them in the airfryer. A family win all around!
Whole30 Chicken Nuggets with Hidden Veggies
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup steamed riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup dried potato flakes (instant mashed potatoes) see notes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour or starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- If using the oven, preheat to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment.
- Food Processor: Combine the cauliflower, eggs, potato flakes in a food processor and process until combined. Add the ground chicken and salt. garlic powder, onion powder, and 1/2 teaspon paprika and process again until well combined. Using the food processor will help the cauliflower blend in better to the ground meat. and is recommended.
- By Hand: In a medium bowl, combine the ground chicken, cauliflower, eggs, potato flakes, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and 1/2 teaspon paprika in a bowl. I find this easiest to do by hand. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the tapioca or arrowroot, garlic salt, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika.
- Scoop out about 1 1/2 tablespoons of meat mixture. Drop into the tapioca flour mixture, rolling around until coated. Flatten into more of a nugget shape and place on parchment. Repeat with all of the meat mixture.
- Spray uncooked nuggets generously with cooking oil spray. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Flip and spray again with cooking oil spray. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until both sides are golden.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze cooked nuggets in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
- AIRFRYER COOKING: Cook in a single layer at 350 for 8-10 minutes until golden and not pink in the center. These will need to be done in a single layer, so I usually use the oven method to avoid multiple batches. The airfryer is awesome for reheating these though!
- STOVETOP COOKING: If you want McDonalds-cispy outside, pan fry these in 1/2 cup melted coconut or avocado oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes each side.