Meet our family’s hands down FAVE crispy fry option that can be done in oven or airfryer. You are going to feel like the extra rinsing/soaking steps aren’t worth it. I get it, I thought so too, but I am *converted* to how important this is to getting a CRISPY fry!
Using garlic olive oil will make a big difference in these being garlic flavored (not just garlic piled on top) and I found most affordable at Trader Joe’s or Costco, but it still tastes great without it.
You are going to want to make these again and again!
Whole30 Garlic Fries
- 2.5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup olive oil or garlic olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1-2 tablespoon minced garlic
- Cut potatoes into even fry strips. As you are cutting, place cut fries into a large bowl of cold water. Drain the water and rinse the potatoes in a colander.
- Fill the large bowl again with cold water and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes. Feel free to have a dance party while you wait. Or make the rest of dinner.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, if using oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Drain potatoes again, lay flat and dry between two towels. Combine 1/3 cup olive oil and dry potatoes, tossing to coat. Add garlic powder and salt, mixing again.
- Place fries flat on the parchment paper or in your airfryer basket.
- Cook in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, stir, then at 425 for 30 minutes or until crispy. In the airfryer, cook at 350 for 15 minutes, stir, and then at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook remaining 1/4 cup oil + 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic (we like it heavy on the garlic with 2 tablespoons, but you do you!) in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Don't brown!
- Toss finished fries with the olive oil + garlic combo and enjoy! If you want to get fancy, you can garnish with a few tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.