Whole30, Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, EASY! A simple side that uses ingredients you can find at most grocery stores to create a copycat Whole30 version to a store kale salad kit. I love that this includes an easy dressing that is egg-free and doesn’t require an immersion blender. The sweetness of the dressing and raisins also helps get the kid buy-in. A perfect fast dinner side or to bring to any gathering!
The salad kits use dried cranberries, but compatible cranberries without sugar can be hard to find. So, I use raisins and prefer their sweeter flavor to balance this dish. If you want to use unsweetened cranberries, I find them at Trader Joe’s. For the apple in the dressing, anything sweet is great – fuji, red delicious, gala, etc. And make sure your oil is extra light tasting, or it
will give this salad a slight olive flavor. A great budget-friendly side (see cost per serving breakdown below!)
Whole30 Kale Salad Kit
- 5 cups packed (3 oz) shredded kale, stem cut off
- 3 cups (7 oz) broccoli slaw
- ½ cup compatible salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/2 cup+ dressing
- pinch salt
- 5 pitted dates
- 1 medium peeled apple
- ¾ cup extra light tasting olive oil
- ¼ cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon compatible Dijon mustard
- pinch salt
𝗧𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴:
- Soak the dates in 1 cup hot water for 5 minutes. After 5minutes, discard the hot water and combine dates and all other ingredients in ablender or food processor. Blend on high speed for 1 minute until smooth.
𝗧𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗱:
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Just before serving, toss with dressing and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add more dressing as desired, to taste.
- You will have leftover dressing, store in fridge for up to two weeks (dressing will separate in the fridge - shake well to combine before using).
Can't find broccoli slaw? I usually find it in the bagged salad section of my grocery store. If you can't find it, you can also use 2 cups shredded broccoli stems, 1/2 cup shredded carrots and 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage.