These paleo and Whole30 Monster Apples are so fun and so easy my kids made them themselves. A great healthy add-on to any Halloween party or even just to liven up dinner. What can I say, I love themed food!
Whole30 Apple Monsters
- 4 granny smith apples
- 4-5 strawberries
- ¼ cup Whole30 compatible sunflower seeds I get raw ones from the bulk bins at Winco
- 2 bananas the smaller the better!
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- ¼ cup compliant almond butter or other nut butter, or sun butter for nut-free
- Cut the apples into large wedges. On the skin side of the wedges, cut an almond shaped slit out of the apple to expose the flesh and make the “mouth.”
- Push 4-5 sunflower seeds into one side of the “mouth”, using the pointy end of the seed to stab into the apple. These will be your “teeth.”
- Spread almond butter onto the side of the “mouth” that doesn’t have the seed “teeth.”
- Cut the stem off the strawberries and slice vertically to create “tongue” slices. Place a strawberry “tongue” onto the almond butter of each monster apple.
- For the eyes, peel a banana and then slice small circles off the end. Use almond butter to attach a raisin for the pupil of the eye and then attach the banana eye onto the monster with more almond butter. We loved making both two eyed and one eyed mosters!
- Serve immediately (if not, you will need to brush the banana slices and apples with a little bit of lemon juice to prevent from browning too fast).
Omgoodness! These are so cute! Definitely trying these out!
Thank you! My boys loved that they could make these themselves and then promptly devoured them!