These paleo and Whole30 Monster Apples are so fun and so easy my kids made them themselves. A great healthy add-on to any Halloween party or even just to liven up dinner. What can I say, I love themed food!
Whole30 Apple Monsters
- 4 granny smith apples
- 4-5 strawberries
- ¼ cup Whole30 compatible sunflower seeds I get raw ones from the bulk bins at Winco
- 2 bananas the smaller the better!
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- ¼ cup compliant almond butter or other nut butter, or sun butter for nut-free
- Cut the apples into large wedges. On the skin side of the wedges, cut an almond shaped slit out of the apple to expose the flesh and make the “mouth.”
- Push 4-5 sunflower seeds into one side of the “mouth”, using the pointy end of the seed to stab into the apple. These will be your “teeth.”
- Spread almond butter onto the side of the “mouth” that doesn’t have the seed “teeth.”
- Cut the stem off the strawberries and slice vertically to create “tongue” slices. Place a strawberry “tongue” onto the almond butter of each monster apple.
- For the eyes, peel a banana and then slice small circles off the end. Use almond butter to attach a raisin for the pupil of the eye and then attach the banana eye onto the monster with more almond butter. We loved making both two eyed and one eyed mosters!
- Serve immediately (if not, you will need to brush the banana slices and apples with a little bit of lemon juice to prevent from browning too fast).