This Whole30, Paleo take on the classic sloppy joes is always a hit in our house! Simple, comes together in less than 30 minutes, and is a kid favorite! If you are just looking for a gluten-free option, you can serve these on gluten-free buns. On Whole30? Use a potato slider, or any roasted/baked potatoes of choice, or even just a lettuce cup (I love butter lettuce for flexible lettuce cup wraps!)
Another favorite way we love these sloppy joes is using my Paleo Waffles for the buns! They are so easy and affordable, with better ingredients than most GF buns, and the grooves are perfect for holding in the sloppy joes!
Whole30 Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 c. Ketchup my favorite Whole30 compliant brand is Primal Kitchen
- 1/2 c water
- 1 T dried chopped onion
- 1/4 t lemon juice
- 1 T date paste can use coconut sugar if not on Whole30
- 1/2 T coconut aminos
- 1 t vinegar
- 1/2 t mustard
- Brown beef in large saucepan. Mix all remaining sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and add to beef once it’s browned.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- Great served on potato sliders or in lettuce cups.
SlidersDon’t overthink this one. Take a few potatoes (sweet potato, white, whatever!) and slice into 1/4 inch discs. Toss with enough oil to get on each one. Lay flat on a baking sheet covered with parchment. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425, flipping halfway until light brown on each side (40ish minutes depending on the type of potatoes).
- 1 c. pitted dates packed
- ½ c. very hot water
- Combine dates and hot water in a bowl and let sit for 1 minute. I usually press them down into the water a bit to ensure they all are soaking. Place dates and all the liquid in a blender and process for 30 seconds or until completely smooth. Store in a closed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 weeks.