This recipe is a copycat recipe for our favorite fast casual Mexican restaurant in Utah – Cafe Rio. It was an instant hit with my large family, including the picky eaters who “don’t like” pork! Egg-free, nut-free, and budget-friendly, as well as can be cooked in the crockpot, Instant Pot, or oven. Excellent in lettuce or jicama tacos, taco salad, or on a tostones slider. Easy prep and freezes great!
Whole30 Sweet Salsa Pork
- 20 large fresh dates, pitted I use medjool
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 pound boneless pork roast
- 1 cup salsa a saucey salsa, not pico de gallo, like salsa roja
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or salt
- SOAK the pitted dates in the hot water. Set aside. If cooking in the instant pot, cut the roast into 4 even slices.
- COMBINE the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the seasonings onto the pork roast.
- BLEND the soaked dates and water in a food processor or blender until smooth, with no large chunks.
- PLACE seasoned roast on the bottom of the crockpot, Instant Pot, or into a 9x13 pan. Pour half of the date mixture (1 cup) on top of the roast, reserving the other half.
- COOK until roast shreds easily as follows:CROCKPOT: Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours or 4 hours on high.INSTANT POT: Seal with lid and cook on manual on high pressure for 1 hour. Let the Instant Pot natural release (don’t touch release knob) for 20 minutes. OVEN: Preheat oven to 325. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 4-5 hours.
- DISCARD the liquid in the crockpot, instant pot or 9x13 pan. Shred roast with two forks, pulling in opposite directions.
- COMBINE reserved 1 cup date mixture, salsa, and garlic salt. In a saucepan on the stove, combine this liquid with the shredded pork. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered. This can also be done on Saute in your Instant Pot.
- SERVE in lettuce leaf tacos or taco salad. Leftovers store in the fridge for 1 week or in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This recipe is excellent paired with my 3 Minute Blender Salsa, Cilantro Lime Ranch, Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice or Whole30 Mexican Inspired Cauliflower rice.
I’ve been eyeing this recipe for a while now and finally whipped up a batch in my instant pot. It is SO GOOD!! Complete winner in our house and will be added to our rotation. I should’ve tried it sooner!
WOOT WOOT that this was a winner and will be on the rotation. We love this one. Thank you!
We had this for dinner tonight and it is SO good!!! Will definitely add to our regular rotation. Thank you!
So happy you love this one – it was an instant hit in our home with the whole family. Glad it is one you want to have on the regular. Thank you!