This kid-friendly favorite is regularly requested by my minions. It’s an easy chicken dish that is flavorful but neutral enough to win over even some of my tough critics. Bonus – it comes together in less than 30 minutes! If you are on Whole30, make sure the ketchup is Whole30 Compliant, my favorite brand is the Primal Kitchen Whole30 Approved Ketchup. If just looking for a Paleo option, I love using Heinz or Hellman’s ketchup sweetened only with honey.
Whole30 Tangy Chicken
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut into bitesized cubes
- 1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons date paste* or coconut sugar if not on Whole30
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 cup ketchup if on Whole30, Tessemaes or Primal Kitchen have compliant ketchup
- Cauliflower rice
- Combine flour and salt in a ziplock bag or medium bowl. Add bitesized chicken pieces, seal, and shake or stir to coat (my kids love doing this part!).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add flour coated chicken pieces, shaking off excess flour before putting into oil. Cook chicken in hot oil, flipping after 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, combine all remaining ingredients (water through ketchup) in a separate medium bowl. Once chicken is cooked, pour sauce over chicken.
- Simmer on stove at medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir several times throughout, as sauce thickens. Serve over cauliflower rice.
*Date Paste - Combine 1 cup dates and 1/2 cup hot water in your blender. Let sit for 1 minute. I usually press them down into the water a bit to ensure they all are soaking. Process for 30 seconds or until completely smooth. You will only use 2 tablespoons for this recipe - store remaining in a closed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 weeks.
My Kids LOVED it. I served leftovers mixed with GF Rotini and although they noticed it was last night’s dinner again it did not stop them from nearly licking their plates clean.
WAHOO! Love that it was “enjoyed two nights in a row” good! Thank you.
Made this tonight and everyone ate and enjoyed! My super picky 3 and 2 year olds had several helpings! Easy and affordable! Thanks for a great recipe to feed our family of 9!
Just do yourself a favor and make this recipe! It is outstanding! We have to double this recipe because we all fight over the leftovers 🙂
Hooray! I’m so happy to hear this is a double every time kind of recipe. Thank you!
This chicken recipe was different and so delicious! We loved having the cauliflower rice with it.
Happy this was a delicious hit, thank you!
I finally made this today and it was terrific! The instructions were super easy to follow. I don’t really love to cook but I’m trying to expand my recipe base. It was a *little* too heavy on the ketchup flavor for my taste but that did not stop me from devouring it. I would definitely make it again.
Good for you for branching out and building that recipe vocabulary. So happy you enjoyed this one and will make it again!