This kid-friendly favorite is regularly requested by my minions. It’s an easy chicken dish that is flavorful but neutral enough to win over even some of my tough critics. Bonus – it comes together in less than 30 minutes! If you are on Whole30, make sure the ketchup is Whole30 Compliant, my favorite brand is the Primal Kitchen Whole30 Approved Ketchup. If just looking for a Paleo option, I love using Heinz or Hellman’s ketchup sweetened only with honey.
Whole30 Tangy Chicken
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut into bitesized cubes
- 1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons date paste* or coconut sugar if not on Whole30
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 cup ketchup if on Whole30, Tessemaes or Primal Kitchen have compliant ketchup
- Cauliflower rice
- Combine flour and salt in a ziplock bag or medium bowl. Add bitesized chicken pieces, seal, and shake or stir to coat (my kids love doing this part!).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add flour coated chicken pieces, shaking off excess flour before putting into oil. Cook chicken in hot oil, flipping after 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, combine all remaining ingredients (water through ketchup) in a separate medium bowl. Once chicken is cooked, pour sauce over chicken.
- Simmer on stove at medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir several times throughout, as sauce thickens. Serve over cauliflower rice.