EASY VEGGIE QUESO DIP WITH ROASTED PLANTAIN SLICES – Paleo, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Keto, Nut-free, Egg-free. This 5-ingredient veggie-loaded dip is a fantastic snack or lunch box add-on. Excellent with raw veggies like carrots or celery or these roasted plantain slices.
NOTE: The plantains for the slices *have* to be green, not yellow, or they will not get crispy. Store-bought plantain chips are NOT allowed on Whole30, but these homemade slices are Whole30 compatible. If you feel like they are a food with no brakes for you, they may not be right for YOUR Whole30, and leave out. You can read more about this Whole30 rule, The Pancake Rule, here.
I use steam in a bag frozen cauliflower to make this super easy. I don’t recommend tapioca starch for this recipe, as it makes the dip tacky, but you can use it if you can’t find arrowroot or potato starch.
Whole30 Veggie Queso Dip
- 2 cups steamed riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or other compatible dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning see notes for link to my homemade seasoning
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or potato starch or flour
- satl, if needed, to taste
- In a blender or food processor, blend the steamed cauliflower, milk, nutritional yeast, taco seasoning, and flour until very smooth.
- Add the blended dip to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly, until dip thickens.
- We prefer to eat this dip cold, so put the dip in a sealed container in the fridge until chilled, at least 2 hours. Store dip in fridge for up to 1 ½ weeks.
Homemade Airfryer or Oven Plantain Chips
- 2 large green plantains
- 2 tablespoons oil to coat avocado or olive
- If using oven, preheat to 350 degrees.
- Using a knife or mandoline slicer, thinly slice plantains into even slices (the mandoline* slicer is king for this!).
- In a bowl, toss plantain slices with oil until all are coated.
- Lay coated plantains in a single layer on either airfryer tray or a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt.
- OVEN: Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until crispy through. AIRFRYER: Airfry at 350 for 10-12 minutes until crispy through. Keep in mind you have to do these in a single layer. That works great with a wide airfryer, but not so much with a deep one. Do it in batches or use the oven method.No need to flip halfway through!